I am a freelance Science & Impact Producer interested in multi-platform media projects which employ evidence-based strategies to increase literacy about the world’s most important science, conservation, and social issues. My research on science communication and diplomacy through media has been funded by the National Science Foundation and US Department of State, and informs my work developing strategic, cross-industry creative cohorts to empower solution-oriented projects. I work with diverse clients including filmmakers, scientists, NGO’s and film festivals.
You can think of me as an operator at the center of numerous channels of activity – the person whose job is to assess and connect the right channels, crafting innovative strategies to insure meaningful, measurable impact. I am not a publicist. I am the person developing the outreach and engagement efforts your publicist will love talking about. My professional skills are broad, generally falling into the realms of development, impact, and production. On any given day I am: preparing grant applications and pitch decks; researching stories and projects both from home and in the field; handling permits and logistics for films, film industry conferences, or research programs; working with publicists and marketing professionals to communicate project accomplishments; meeting with stakeholders; field producing for feature-length documentary films; or even contributing from behind a camera or a sound mixer. I am a good investment for projects that need multiple skills from a small, efficient team. I am also happy to be an ad hoc addition to larger teams, and welcome opportunities to work in conjunction with other Impact producers and outreach specialists.
Recent project highlights include:
- Researcher, Field Producer, and Sound Recordist for The Whale Detective, currently in production for BBC/PBS with Gripping Films.
- Field Producer for Sea of Ghosts from Terra Mater Factual Studios, in association with Wild Lens Inc. and Malaika Pictures
- Grant Writer/Project Manager for a Science Diplomacy through Film collaboration on vector-borne diseases between the US Department of State and Jackson Hole WILD
- Impact Producer for Souls of the Vermilion Sea from Wild Lens, Inc
- Impact Producer for Headhunt Revisited: with Brush, Canvas and Camera, from photographer and explorer Michele Westmorland with support from the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Science Producer and NSF PI for the NSF-funded filmmaker professional development strand and impact assessment at Jackson Hole WILD